A little family history

Friday, November 18

I recently found out that one of my ancestors was the great sword maker Masamune. I always heard my grandmother talk about our ancestors on her side but never really paid too much attention to it. My Dad was out here for work recently and we met for dinner down in San Diego. He told me about a sword he recently bought from a friend. He touched this sword and instantly felt a connection. He had no idea why at the time, but after talking to my grandmother he found out the sword was made by one of our ancestors. Masamune's swords are considered deeply spiritual, pure and benevolent. In Japanese sword folklore his swords are contrasted with those of Muramasa's whose were regarded as evil, brutish and violent.

The reason I wanted to share this little piece of my family history with you is because of the instant passion I felt for metalsmithing and welding. I always had a creative side growing up. I dabbled with drawing, painting and ceramics but nothing really stuck. I enjoyed it but never experienced the same connection that I do working in metal. I took my first sculpture class my freshman year of college and I have never looked back since.

I am definitely excited to find out that my passion, skill, and high value for craftsmanship goes so far back in my family line.

There was a video on Etsy a few days ago about another Japanese sword maker and I wanted to share it with you. I hope that traditions like this don't die out with their masters but are passed on.

Handmade Portraits: The Sword Maker from Etsy on Vimeo.

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |