Experimenting with telling my story

Friday, October 15


I read an article by Johnny B Truant on Etsy this week and it got me thinking about my descriptions. I try to tell the details so people know the size, color, and materials of the ring they are buying, but I don't say a whole lot else. I have worked on my pictures over the years to try to tell the buyer more through images but what about the text they read?

I buy a lot of handmade and artist work myself. Actually everything hanging on my walls I got at an art show or craft show. I buy handmade jewelry, ceramics, stationary, bath products, and more and I love to tell the story to people who ask or the people I give the gift to. It's so much more interesting than saying I bought this at Target for you. I get excited about the story and telling people about the awesome craft fairs, and Etsy shops I bought the item for. So why don't I do that for my customer online? I do it for the customers who buy from me at shows, and I give the information to the store owners who carry my line.

So I guess it's time to start telling my story.

I started by updating 1 listing this morning and hopefully I will get more done this weekend.
What do you think?
Is this description more interesting?

Is it more interesting than say this one?


What do you think? I would love to hear your thoughts.

Do you think it's too much information, and I lose your attention in the first one?

Do you just want to see a picture and know the basic information? Or do you want to know the story?

That blog post on Etsy really got me thinking. I took a step back from the craziness in my studio lately. I am really lucky because I am too busy with store orders and holiday preparations to update Etsy and make changes most of the time. But maybe while watching a movie or relaxing this weekend I will do a little updating on my computer.

How important is the story to you when you buy something?

Thanks for reading my thoughts on the subject and I hope you have a lovely weekend.
Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |